[ About Us | Popular | Marcom | AdNet | IChannel | Glossary ]

Jul 12, 2008

NEWS: Why I don't like 'crowd sourcing'

Why I don't like 'crowd sourcing'

A picture named crowd.jpgOn Twitter, Jay Rosen asks why I don't like the term crowdsourcing. (He says hate, but that's way way too harsh.) Anyway, he's right -- I don't like it -- because it betrays a not-useful point of view. I am not part of a crowd, I am an individual, I'm a one man band by the quick lunch stand,playing real good for free. When you mash us all together you miss the point. 

I don't like it cause it's cheap, it's always used by people who want something for nothing. 

Tell me Jay, how does your wife feel when you tell her she's part of the crowd you were thinking of marrying. 

If you want people to like you, and who doesn't, try seduction. Don't tell us about your greed, say how much you love and respect our individuality our originality.

Bottom-line: I don't think of myself as part of a crowd when I write on the Internet. When you describe me that way I don't like it. 

I don't like it for the same reason I never liked "The Long Tail." The person using the term is never in the long tail, he or she is the head! It's the rest of us that are in the tail. Well excuse me but I'm riding up front with you. Been locked in the trunk many times by Microsoft, Netscape and Apple. It sucks! smile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments accepted immediately, but moderated.

Support Our Sponsors: